Monday, November 18, 2013

Road Trip Part 1: St. George

I'm back on the grid after a month on the road. While it feels good to be back, I'm already looking forward to my next trip (which might be this coming weekend ;) I'll keep you posted).

A few weeks ago I hit the road with my good friends Alejandro and Melissa. We wanted to venture off and explore new climbing zones; the main destination was Utah. Cold weather and insufficient gear (for warmth and climbing splitters) kept us away from our original destinations: Salt lake, Joe's Valley and Moab. We aimed for sunny St George instead. Here we found super fun sport crags and bouldering on sandstone and limestone.

If you are ever passing through and looking to get super pumped on 5.11 sport climbs, don't miss the Turtle Wall and the Chuckwalla Wall. Right off the road these 40- 60 foot sandstone crags offer awesome steep jug hauling and pocket pulling.

While we were getting in a session at the Chuckwalla wall, this little asian boy in red pants stole the show. We didn't realize until we started looking at a guide that in fact this kid was crushing hard 12's like... well how a normal kid would handle monkey bars. Unfortunately I didn't catch his name, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him hanging upside down in a climbing mag someday soon.

Check out these pics and the sweet little Go Pro edit I made (this starts with a a bit of footage from my stopover in Bishop last week). Our little friend in the red pants had just lowered off a 12d and his pop sends him off to traverse the whole wall immediately (which was no gimmie, probably 5.12 as well).




No comments:

Post a Comment