Friday, November 15, 2013

October Surf in California

October is usually a special time to be a surfer in San Francisco, or anywhere in California for that matter. This year was no different. Sunny days, warm water (by SF standards), and glassy clean head high surf.

For me, this October was extra special. After nearly 3 years living back in the bay area where I grew up and working full-time doing market research, I decided that I needed to distance myself from the comforts of my office chair and city apartment in order to gain some perspective. A radical lifestyle change ensued. With dreams of climbing and surfing new and different places around the world, I left my job and moved out of my apartment. I booked a one way ticket to sydney for December 9th.

With a couple months to kill, the keys to my buddy's Subaru dubbed the 'Blueberry'(Thanks Phil!) and my girlfriend Cari living near the beach in SF, I made it my mission to surf as much as I physically could.

Highlights include:

  • 4 near perfect days of SF's Ocean Beach in a row coinciding with Hardly Strictly Bluegrass (best surf trip ever…),
  • Surfing an 'underground' big wave spot near Monterey with my good buddy riding our 5'10 fishes (and then plucking him from the drunk tank the following morning after one too many celebratory fireball shots)
  • At least 3 mondays of 9AM coffee at Java beach cafe followed by 4 hour surf sessions @OB (instead of 9AM coffee at the office followed by 4 hours of meetings)

Check out some proof below:


Created with Admarket's flickrSLiDR.

PS: I ripped off the OB barrel shot from the OB surf FB page since I didn't have any good shot's of OB from this fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment